Indecision

That's the topic for the writing experience today. Perhaps it is appropriate for the survival minded. Indecision can kill, plain and simple.

I'll cop to a slightly embarrassing story from last winter.  We like to snow shoe. The deep, deep snow up on the mountain, they are necessary. It gets cold up on the mountain. It is often in the 20s with blowing snow. So we take our backpack stove along  to heat up food and make hot chocolate. This is a small stove the folds up and is heated by a can of jell fuel much like they use in the catering business. The outside of the can and, of course, the folding stove get hot.  We stick in the snow for a bit to make sure they are cold before they are packed away. Trips to the mountain aren't just about snowshoeing. The children like to go sledding. We acquired a bright orange toboggan at a great price. It works well. The kids have fun.

So now we've got a fuel source, lots of fluffy winter clothes and a bright orange toboggan in the back of the Equinox. I'm driving down off the mountain. It's one of the better days. It is not snowing. We've reached the lower elevations where the road is bare but wet from run off. It's late in the day and the sun is beginning to set. When I drive, especially in snow or ice conditions, I worry about the people behind me as much as the people in front of me. I check the rear view mirror a lot. I check my mirror and see an orange glow filling the back of the vehicle. "We've got fire!" Luckily, we were on a straight-away with no ditch on the right. As I skidded to a stop, I gave orders. "Out of the car on Ana's side!" That was the side away from the highway and near the forest. The kids were wearing long johns, they'd taken off their snow pants and their boots. By the time my husband and I were out of the car, headed to the back, the 4-year old had unbuckled and was opening her door. My oldest, at 7 was still sitting buckled in her seat.  She was indecisive, in spite of receiving instructions.

To my relief and embarrassment, we realized that the fiery orange glow in the radiating off the ceiling and sides of the car was caused by the sun reflecting off a bit of the orange toboggan. We quickly stopped the youngest from stepping out into the snow in her stocking feet. The oldest was more interested in what we were doing that removing herself from her seat. So we had a good laugh at my mistake but it was a good fire drill on acting in an emergency.

Indecision. It can be a killer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment



Blogger Template by Blogcrowds